Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cajun Style

Back in July I won airline tickets. How I won them is a strange story, but what matters is that I did. The tickets had to be used within a week of my acquiring them, so I scrambled to find a travel partner, which I did. Ms. Sophia Wang not only had the time, but the desire to travel to my destination of choice, New Orleans. My selection was based upon a desire to visit the city that in my humble opinion best represents the failures of domestic policy by the current executive administration in U.S. government. In addition I wanted to sweat southern style while sampling Cajun food, culture, and the famous streets of the French Quarter.

After a day of travel we arrived in the French Quarter just after 11pm. Upon arrival at the hotel I had booked we were greeted by a locked door, and a closed front desk. Fortunately we stumbled upon a wonderful Inn just a half block away from the seemingly abandoned hotel that we desperately tried to gain access to. Thank god, or whomever you like because our late night discovery was far superior in price, and feel.

After dumping our luggage in our small yet comfortable accommodations we dined at Coops. The restaurant was recommend by Ms. Mariah Gardner, who we later discovered dined at Coops every night of her visit, which we did as well. We then ventured to the R Bar, which provided vintage soul music, and cheap beverages. The evening ended as ever other night of our stay did - with a stoned soak in our Inns hot tub.

On our first full day we toured what remains of post-Katrina New Orleans - miles of boarded buildings, vacant homes, and what I can only describe as the apocalyptic landscape of America's potential future. If you have no seen what remains of the old New Orleans I recommend doing so before opportunistic developers convert the city into a Singapore-like portal of consumer sterility.



The French Quarter, and it's surrounding neighborhoods are a wealth of antiquated architecture, and unimaginable charm.

Just a half block from our temporary home, the Ursulines Inn was the Quarter Master, which supplied us with po' boys, crawdad cakes, and everything else we desired at all hours. The self appointed "nelly deli" was situated in the heart of French Quarters gay district, which provided your sweat soaked San Francisco travelers with an immediate feeling of home.

My lovely companion, Ms. Wang.

The evening of our second day we visited the Saturn Bar for a night of Mod, and vintage soul music. We danced our asses off. The music paled in comparison to SF's Soul Party, but managed to keep us on the dance floor all night.

The lovely mod night DJs.

What can I say? I wish I had taken more photos. If you have the motivation please visit New Orleans. It is a gorgeous city brimming with resilient, and unnervingly warm hospitality.

No comments: